One of the best things about chilling evenings is a hot cup of herbal tea. Herbal teas are full of flavors and have many health benefits. You can even grow many herbs by yourself and make your own blends. With herbal teas, you can get opportunity to try different flavors and enjoy them. Herbal teas are delicious, refreshing and also help in boosting the immune system. They even make you fall asleep easily.
Making herbal teas at home is super easy and you can easily enjoy the process. Try making your own blend and use them in making teas. The idea is to make a small batch at first and then adjust the ratio of ingredients as per your taste. Also, store larger quantities in air tight containers and keep it away from light.
Here are some tried and tested herbal tea recipes that you can easily make at home and enjoy during the frozen evenings.
1. Ginger Tea : The kadak “adrak wali chai” has got a new avatar and we strongly recommend this version of ginger tea. Fresh, dried or powdered, ginger tastes yummy in any form in tea. Making herbal ginger tea requires fresh ingredients instead of dried ones. Peel, wash and slice ginger into thin slices. Add it to a small saucepan together with 1 ½ cup of water and add black peppercorns. Bring it to boil and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes. Strain, add honey and drink.
● 1 inch fresh ginger
● A teaspoon of honey
● 2-3 peppercorns
2. Mint and Lavender Tea : Adding a touch of lavenders to basic mint tea enhances its taste. Lavender helps in relaxing the mind and freshening up the breath. It gives a delicious and subtle taste with mint leaves and has antiviral and antioxidant properties. Brew mint and lavender tea by using 1 tsp of dry leaves. Bring it to boil and cool for few minutes. Serve it with honey and enjoy.
● 1 spoon mint
● ¼ spoon lavender flowers
● 1 tsp honey
3. Herbal Chai : A cup of warm chai is unbeatable in any season. The real chai is made with strong black tea, herbal chai has no caffeine at all. It is warm and soothing and can be made with powdered or crushed spices. The base for herbal chai is pure rooibos tea. It holds all the spices and blends well with milk. It is naturally sweet and light.
Blend: (for 4-5 cups)
● 4 spoons of rooibos tea
● 1 teaspoon of ginger powder
● 2 inches of crushed cinnamon bark
● ½ -1 teaspoon of crushed cardamom
● ½ -1 teaspoon of cloves
Herbal teas are light, tasty and can easily be made at home. They are full of antibacterial and antiviral properties and boost immunity. This season, ditch those fancy and costly store-bought teas and make a blend at home. If you have some other recipes in mind, do share with us.