Summers can be a real pain. The scorching sun snatches away your appetite and moisture and one of the easiest ways to beat the heat is to stay hydrated. And what’s better than a bowl of juicy berries to munch on during hot summers? How can one resist this beautiful and delicious fruit? Berries are a real savior during summers as they are rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. They are a low-calorie snack with natural sweetness and help you lower down your sweet cravings.
So let’s dig a little deeper and explore the 5 must-have berries that you should include in your diet during summers to stay hydrated and cool.
- Blueberries: Be it blueberry jam or a blueberry cheesecake, this mildly sweet fruit is rich in antioxidants, potassium and fiber. Blueberry checks all the boxes to be on the top of the superfood list and has a very juicy and tangy flavor. Bake a cake, make salad or eat it raw, it is super sumptuous and is a good source of Vitamin C. Blueberries are a great source of hydration and an excellent alternative to unhealthy sweets. It’s a very healthy fruit option for your kids as well. You can add some milk to create a nutritious and delicious shake for kids.
- Strawberries: Juicy, tangy and fresh, I am sure Strawberries are loved by everyone! This fruit is certainly a master player and full of vitamins and nutrients. Apart from keeping you hydrated, Strawberries are a powerhouse of antioxidants which helps keep your skin firm and glossy. You can create many delicious recipes using Strawberries or enjoy it as a natural dessert. Strawberries have anti- inflammatory properties and are very beneficial for your health. Strawberry tops or leaves help you get rid of gastric discomfort and joint pain.
- Cranberries: Cranberries are rich in antioxidants and help in reducing the risk of cancer and ulcers. This summer stock up your groceries with this superfood as it has anti-inflammatory properties which keeps your immune system healthy and strong. Not only this, raw cranberries help in treating UTIs and digestive issues. You can infuse them with water and consume it on a daily basis. You can even add cranberries in your pasta or desserts to enhance the taste and nutrients. Furthermore, you can easily incorporate cranberries into your kid’s diet to keep them hydrated and healthy during summers.
- Blackberries : These sweet and sour berries are a great source of protein and fiber. A cup of blackberries has about 2 grams of protein and 8 grams of fiber. Healthiest among all, blackberries are considered to be a rich source of Vitamin C as well. Daily consumption of blackberries is good for the brain and gut. A handful of these juicy berries is enough to munch on a hot summer day. You can easily incorporate them in your salad, smoothies or baked goods for a healthy and tasty twist.
- Raspberries: Another nutritious and tasty berry type which you can’t afford missing this summer. Raspberries are full of antioxidants and fiber. They are also helpful in managing obesity and diabetes. They also have healing and anti-inflammatory properties. Not only the fruit but the leaves of raspberries are equally beneficial for your health. They are helpful for treating nausea and lessen the other pregnancy complications.
Pair them up with other summer fruits and enjoy a tangy fruit chaat during summers!
As we are now aware of numerous health benefits of berries, let’s try these simple and tasty recipes to chill during hot summer days.
- Very Berry Smoothie: A low- calorie and high- nutrient recipe which can be best enjoyed during summers as breakfast or evening snack. All you need is to have a cup of mixed berries, banana, yogurt and milk.
- 1 cup mixed berries
- 1 banana
- ½ cup yogurt
- ½ cup plain milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp honey
Method: Take all the ingredients in a blender jar. Put on the lid and blend it till it gets a smooth consistency. Pour into a glass and serve it chilled!
- Berry and Watermelon Pizza: This summer, ditch the traditional dough crust pizza and try this berry-unique pizza with watermelon, yogurt and berries. We are sure you are gonna love this super simple and refreshing recipe.
- ½ cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large round slice watermelon, cut from the center of the melon
- 1/4 cup fresh strawberries, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh blueberries, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh blackberries, chopped
- 1 tsp torn mint leaves
- Combine honey, vanilla and yogurt in a bowl.
- Spread the yogurt mixture over the slice of watermelon.
- Now cut the slice into wedges.
- Top it with berries and mint leaves.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Mixed Berry Crumble: If you are looking for a healthy and nutritious dessert to serve to your guests this summer, look no further. This berry crumble recipe is surely gonna be a show stopper.
- 1 cup mixed berries, frozen
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tbsp rolled oats
- Ice Cream to serve
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees.
- Grease a baking tin with butter.
- Combine berries and caster sugar into a bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, brown sugar, butter and rolled oats. Rub together until combined.
- Sprinkle it over the berries mixture.
- Bake it for 25 minutes.
- Top with ice cream scoops and serve!
What’s next? It’s time to fill your refrigerator with juicy and healthy berries this summer. They are natural alternatives to sugary and unhealthy desserts. Daily consumption of berries will help you with all the nutrients you need in order to stay hydrated and healthy during summers. Which berry recipe are you going to try this summer? Tell us in the comment section below.
Start incorporating them into your diet as early as possible so that you can get all the health benefits and nutrition you need! Which berry recipe are you going to try next? Tell us in the comments below.