And here comes the festive season!! Finally amidst all this corona stress and fear, we are going to celebrate the most awaited season of the year- festive season. Navrati is on the way and once again our spaces are going to be filled with the aroma of pure butter and desi ghee. One of the biggest hindi festival which is celebrated twice a year with great excitement and devotion across the country.
The idols of goddess Durga are decorated with kumkum, bangles, flowers and jewelry. All the nine avatars of Durga Maa are worshipped for nine days. The word Navratri refers to nine pious nights during which Goddess Durga is worshiped. Many poeple observe fasts and enjoy delicious delicacies like sabudaba khichdi, fruit chaat, kuttu poori and kheer. Observing fast during navratri is the best way to detox your body as all these ingredients are very light on stomach. So, get ready to deviate from the day to day affairs of cooking and cleaning and enjoy some light weight food. We have curated some healthy and easy to cook vrat recipes for all your cravings.
Let’s get started
1. Kand tikki: If you are bored of same potato snack everytime, try this super scrumptious kand tikki. Use kand instead of potatoes in the regular tikiya for an interesting and healthy twist. Take a look at the recipe.
● 1 ½ cups boiled and peeled purple kand
● 2 ½ tbsp crushed peanuts
● 2 tbsp chopped coriander
● 1 ½ tbsp arrowroot flour
● ½ tsp ginger
● 2 tsp green chilli paste
● 2 tsp sugar
● 2 ½ tsp lemon juice
● Salt to taste
● Oil for frying
1. Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and mix well.
2. Divide the mixture into equal portions and shape them into flat round tikki.
3. Fry the tikkis in hot oil till they turn golden brown.
4. Serve immediately.
2. Farali Pancakes: Ever though of having some pancakes on the vrat day? No right? Don’t worry this navratri you are going to enjoy sweet farali pancakes to add some gourmet twist to your regular vrat food. Let’s give it a shot.
● 1 cup sama
● ½ cup buckwheat or kuttu
● 1 cup grated coconut
● ½ cup grated jaggery
● ½ cup mashed bananas
● A pinch of rock salt
● ¼ tsp cardamom powder
● Ghee for cooking
1. Clean and wash sama and buckwheat separately and soak them in water for atleast an hour.
2. Blend the sama with water till smooth
3. Blend the buckwheat with water till smooth.
4. Combine both together and add coconut, jaggery, banana, rock salt, cardamom powder in a bowl and mix well.
5. Now make small pancakes on a non stick tawa and serve immediately.
3. Thandai: A shaahi drink having an aromatic flavor and rich taste, thandai is loved by all. A healthy drink for your hunger pangs during vrat times.
● ¼ cup almonds (soaked and peeled)
● 2 tbsp fennel seeds
● 10-12 peppercorns
● 4 tsp poppy seeds
● 2 powdered cardamom
● A few strands of kesar
● 1 tbsp rose water
● 4 cups milk
● ½ cup powdered sugar
1. Make paste of almonds, fennel seeds, peppercorns, poppy seeds, cardamom, kesar and rose water.
2. Boil milk in a pan and let it cool.
3. Add the grounded paste and keep it in refrigerator for 3-4 hours.
4. Add sugar and mix well.
5. Garnish thandai with chopped nuts or rose petals and serve chilled.