A hot bowl of your favorite soup during chilly winter nights is the most comforting thing. Making a soup is as comforting as eating it. A pot of soup simmering on the stove takes you to another world of happiness. But are you also struggling with runny or thick soups? Still wondering how to cook those delicious soups at home? Here are some basic tips that will make you make your soup even better.
1. Double your recipe: It is easy to make soups in large batches so always make two portions instead of one. Double up on ingredients and take a large bowl to make two meals.
2. Cook the vegetables: For making good soup, you need to build flavors in it. So vegetables like onion, garlic, ginger, celery and carrots are part of most of the soup recipes. These are referred as aromatics. Always saute these vegetables in oil or butter for flavor making. Before moving to the next step make sure to cook them long enough.
3. Consider cooking time of each ingredient: Each vegetable will take it’s time to cook. A tiny pea eill cook much faster that a carrot. So add the vegetables accordingly so that they all are finished cooking at the same time.
4. Chop the vegetables finely: When chopping vegetables think of how big you want them on your spoon.Chop your vegetables super fine, otherwise they will be difficult to eat.
5. A good stock work wonders : The stock is the most important ingredient when making clear or brothy soups. Poorly flavored stock will ruin the whole pot of the soup. Homemade stock is always the best choice so choose your stock wisely.
6. Add salt in the end: When it comes to adding salt in soup, you don’t know how much is to be added. Some stocks have high level of sodium so save your seasoning till end and always taste before serving.
7. Simmer, simmer and simmer: Once the soup has come to a boil, lower the flame and let it simmer. Boiling it too vigrously will make your vegetables mushy and will ruin your soup.
8. Portion the servings: If you are making a hot soup, make sure it’s just piping hot. An ideal serving should be 250 ml and of a meal should be 350 ml.
Try this vegetable clear soup for a perfect evening.
Mixed vegetable clear soup: A spicy clear mixed vegetable soup is sure to meet your nutrient requirements. Try this out on a monsoon evening to tick off the hunger.
● ¼ cup finely chopped cauliflower
● ¼ cup finely chopped carrot
● ¼ cup finely chopped cabbage
● ¼ cup finely chopped capsicum
● ¼ cup finely chopped tomatoes
● 1 tsp olive oil
● 2 tsp finely chopped garlic
● 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
● Salt to taste
● 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
● 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander
● 2 tsp Lemon juice
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add garlic, ginger, green chillies and saute on medium flame.
2. Add all the vegetables and saute for 2 minutes on medium flame.
3. Add 3 cups of vegetable stock, salt, black pepper and cook on simmer for 10-15 minutes.
4. Remove from flame and add mint leaves, coriander leaves, lemon juice and mix well.
5. Serve hot.
Follow Mansi Rana for more Healthy Food Blogs.