Ask me and I am gonna tell you how painful teething is for your babies. From last 15 days I have seen my little human crying, fussy and irritated (a lot more). Babies are usually born with the full set of teeth beneath their gums but during teething, these teeth begin to cut through the gums.You might get excited as a mom that your child will now be able to eat a bigger variety of foods, but getting to that stage is really tough for both baby and parent.
When do babies start teething
Usually, most babies begin to teethe between 4 to 7 months of age. Some starts a little earlier and some a little later. It can be different for every baby. By the age of 3, your baby will have the set of 20 “baby teeth”.
Symptoms associated with Teething
Each baby is unique and therefore has a unique mix of symptoms during teething. The most common among them are irritability and loss of appetite.
Many of them may have no symptoms when their teeth break through the gums.
Look for the following symptoms that are completely normal when babies start teething.
● Chewing and sucking thumb or fists
● Loss of appetite
● Trouble sleeping
● Fussiness and crankiness
● Sore and tender gums
● Red or swollen gums
What’s not normal:
● Fever higher than 100.4 degrees
Soothing a teething baby
If your baby is teething and seems uncomfortable try the following methods to soothe her:
1. Rub your baby’s gums gently: Use a clean finger or a wet cold muslin cloth to rub your baby’s gums. It comforts them. The pressure can ease your baby’s soreness.
2. Over counter medicines: If your baby is getting cranky, try over counter medicines to relieve pain. Do try Bio-Chem 21 tablets. These tablets are completely homeopathic and can be given under the supervision of your pediatrician. Just mix a tablet with your milk or water and give it to your child. Tried and tested way to ease the teething process.
3. A cold pacifier: Try giving a chilled pacifier, teether or a clean napkin to your baby. Make sure you clean the stuff after every use.
Treatments to avoid
Teething is extremely painful process but make sure you never opt for the following remedies:
1. Give a baby aspirin or rub it on gums.
2. Use alcohol on baby’s gums
3. Put frozen objects directly on gums
4. Allow your child to chew on hard toys or teethers.
When to call a doctor
Many parents think that fever and diarrhea are normal during teething but it is not the case. Do call your pediatrician right away if your baby develops such symptoms and experience continued discomfort.
Teething is an important milestone your baby is gonna achieve. You may get anxious due to the pain and discomfort. But make sure to comfort your baby. Remember teething is a painful phase and it will eventually pass and your child will have a healthy set of teeth one day.