Making a perfect diet for children seems to be the toughest task these days. A meal that has enough protein, vitamins and minerals is the need of the hour. But have you ever thought that plant protein can be a good substitute for meat protein which is essential for building, maintaining and repairing body tissues. Tofu is one of the best source of plant protein and when used correctly in meals, turns out to be delicious. Among various tofu recipes available, we are here with some easy and nutritious recipes that can be made without much hassle.
If your kids are fussy eaters, these recipes with their distinct flavors are going to become their favorite treats.
1. Crispy Tofu Cubes: A stir fry tofu recipe that can be made with bare minimum ingredients. Full of protein, this recipe is loved by both kids and adults equally.
● Tofu 250 gms
● Cornstarch 2 tbsp
● Cornmeal 2 tbsp
● Parmesan cheese 2 tbsp grated
● Olive oil ½ cup
● Salt to tast
a. Cut the tofu in one inch cubes.
b. Place the tofu in a large bowl. Add cornmeal, cheese, cornstarch and salt.
c. Mix everything until the tofu gets a nice coating.
d. Heat ¼ cup of oil in pan.
e. Shallow fry tofu pieces into the oil till crisp and golden.
f. Sprinkle any herb seasoning of your choice and serve.
2. Tofu and Berries smoothie : Tofu and berry smoothie is the best drink after an evening playtime. It is a perfect meal with a tangy yet creamy taste.
● Mixed berries 2 cups
● Tofu 1 cup
● Milk 1.5 cups
● Banana 1 nos.
1. Add all the ingredients into a blender jar.
2. Blend for a minute until it gets a smooth texture.
3. Add sugar for a sweeter taste and water to get the desired consistency.
3. Scrambled Tofu and Mushrooms: A yummy tofu recipe that can be given to kids over 1 year of age. You can also put carrots, peas or potatoes as per your child’s taste.
● Olive oil 2 tbsp
● Green capsicum chopped 1 nos.
● Mushrooms sliced 8-10
● Red onion chopped 1 nos.
● Tomatoe chopped 1 nos.
● Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
● Parsley chopped 1 tbsp
● Pepper powder ½ tsp
a. Heat oil in a pan, add onions and saute over medium flame.
b. Add green capsicum, tomatoes and mushrooms and cook until mushroom loose water.
c. Add crumbled tofu into the pan.
d. Add turmeric and pepper powder. Mix well.
e. Cover and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
f. Garnish with parsley leaves and serve hot.
Seeing your child growing up healthy and smart is a blessing that all of us want to enjoy. Serving your kid the right and nutritious food contributes to a healthy lifestyle. Avoid giving packaged and outside food to your baby as these contain preservatives that are harmful to their health. These tofu food recipes are rich in nutrients and add a variety to your child’s diet. Before serving tofu to kids, make sure that your little one is not allergic to it and consult your paediatrician.