This weather is totally insane. Don’t make me jealous by telling that you are chilling out at a private beach house with you family and kids. The only good thing about this weather is LEMONS. Maybe it is the color, bright and shiny or maybe it’s the taste that keeps this refreshing fruit always on the top of the list.
Spring gives us plenty of reasons to celebrate the sweetness of lemons. From tarts to sponge, from lemonades to ice teas, lemon preparations are always refreshing, fruity and tangy. Lemons are versatile and flexible culinary players and add oomph to sweet and savory dishes. Besides being good in taste, lemons have many health benefits. Some of them are listed down:
Health Benefits of Lemons:
A rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants that protects the risk of cardiovascular diseases and lower blood pressure. Having lukewarm lemon water helps in reducing weight and obesity. Lemons are beneficial for improving the skin quality. Vitamin C found in lemons helps reducing dark circles, wrinkles and skin aging. The sour taste of lemon helps to improve the digestive problems. Lemon juice also helps in preventing kidney stones.
This super food is a great combination of health and taste. So, let’s try some new and unique recipes and enjoy the season.
1. Lemon Sponge Cake: A delicious, moist and tangy tea time cake topped with lemon glaze and lemon peel.
• 175 grams salted butter
• 175 grams caster sugar
• 3 eggs
• 4 tbsp lemon juice
• 1 ½ tbsp lemon zest
• 250 grams flour
• ½ tsp baking powder
• 100 grams yogurt
• 400 grams icing sugar
1. Pre-heat oven at 150 degree Celsius and line the baking tin with parchment paper.
2. Beat butter and caster sugar till light and fluffy. Crack in eggs one at a time, beating each time after addition.
3. Stir in lemon zest. Fold in flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt. Add the yogurt and mix well.
4. Spoon the mixture in the prepared tin. Bake it at 150 degrees for 45-55 minutes.
5. For the topping, beat in the lemon juice with icing sugar till creamy. Set the cake on cake stand and pour the icing on the top. Decorate it with lemon zest and serve.
2. Lemon Risotto: The most popular Italian cuisine with a hint of lemon for a refreshing and tangy taste.
• Lemon juice 1 ½ tbsp
• Arborio Rice 1 cup
• Lemon Zest 1 tbsp
• Olive Oil 1 ½ tbsp
• Onions diced 2 medium
• Vegetable stock 2 ½ cups
• Parmesan Cheese grated 3 tbsp
• Broccoli florets 10-15
• Garlic crushed 2 cloves
• Butter 1 tbsp
1. Heat oil in pan; add onions and rice and sauté for couple of minutes.
2. Add garlic and continue to sauté for another couple of minutes. Add half cup of vegetable stock, lemon zest and salt and stir. Cover and cook. Once the stock is absorbed, add more stock and cook.
3. Continue till all the stock is used up.
4. Add 2 tbsp parmesan cheese and broccoli and mix. Add lemon juice and mix. Cook for two or three minutes. Add butter and mix.
5. Sprinkle more parmesan cheese and serve hot.