Just after entering this beautiful world full of surpirses, babies learn and adapt so many things. Their lungs, stomach and immune system is still immature and requires constant care. A baby crying due to colic pain is not a new problem, but if you are new to parenting, you will find it difficult to tackle it.
All babies suffer from stomach issues in the early months of their life and there are many ways by which you can reduce the pain. Giving a spoonful of gripe water to infants is an effective way to improve their digestion and ease colic.Today, we are going to discuss about benefits of gripe water and a simple recipe to make it at home.
Benefits of Gripe Water
You might have heard your grandmother talking about the benefits of gripe water. If not, we are here to show you its wonders. Gripe water calms a baby’s upset stomach and is usually recommended for babies with digestion issues. But, just like when can you give babies water, it shouldn’t be given to babies under 6 months of age. You can easily buy gripe water from local market of online stores but making it at home is very easy and requires basic ingredients from kitchen.
The recipe calls for specific ingredients and each one of them has a vital benefit. Gripe water relieves gas related issues and other digestive problems of your little one. Let us now look at the ingredients used in gripe water and their benefits.
1. Cloves : Cloves help in reducing bloating and has many pain relieving properties. It also is helful in calming respiratory issues.
2. Coconut Sugar : It is a natural sweetener and add taste to the gripe water. It is easy to digest and good for baby’s stomach.
3. Cinnamon : Cinnamon helps is relieving stomach ache and has immense benefits for baby. It also reduces gas and treat indigestion.
4. Fennel : Fennel helps in treating various stomach issues like gas, indigestion, reflux and stomach ache. It is the major element of gripe water and has numerous health benefits.
5. Ginger : Ginger is well known for its various health benefits. It helps in treating diarrhoea, colic, indigestion and other stomach problems.
How to make gripe water at home?
Dried and crushed cardamom
Dried and crushed fennel seeds
Dried chamomile flowers
Fresh ginger, sliced
Preparing gripe water using the ingredients mentioned above is quick and easy process. The steps are as follows:
● Take the purified water in a large pan. Let it boil.
● In a cloth tea bag, add the cardamom, fennel, chamomile, and ginger.
● Once the water boils, turn off the heat and place the bag in the pan. Let the bag sit in it for around 30 minutes.
● Remove the bag from the water after 30 minutes, and add the coconut sugar, ground clove, and cinnamon. Mix it well and give it to your baby once it cools down. Store the rest in the fridge in an airtight bottle.
Homemade gripe water is always better than the ones that are commercially available.This quick recipe will solve all the stomach problems of your baby.