There’s probably nothing more delicious and healthy than those steamed rice buns. South Indian idlis have been India’s favorite since they know that making idlis is quite an easy thing. The best part is you can have idli whatever the condition of your tummy may be. It is light, fluffy and super healthy. You just have to master one basic recipe of making idlis and then you can add a variety of flavors and textures to that basic plain idli. So today I will be sharing three different dishes that you can make from leftover idlis.
1. Idli Chaat
A wonderful way to use leftover idlis. Be it a birthday party or a cocktail, idli chaat is a hit. You can also serve this chaat to your kids.
● Left over idlis
● Oil for frying
● ½ cup whisked curd
● Salt to taste
● 2 tsp green chutney
● 4 tsp imli chutney
● Jeera powder
● Chilli powder
● 2 tbsp sev
● 2 tbsp chopped coriander
1. Cut each idli into four pieces and deep fry them on medium heat until they turn golden brown and crisp.
2. Place idlis on a plate and top it with whisked curd.
3. Sprinkle salt. Add some green chutney and imli chutney on it.
4. Sprinkle jeera powder, chilli powder, sev and chopped coriander on it.
5. Serve idli chaat immediately.
2. Spicy Tawa Idli
A tangy and spicy idli recipe to satisfy your junk food cravings. Addition of pav bhaji masala is the hidden twist.
● 2 tsp oil
● ¼ cup chopped onions
● ½ cup chopped tomatoes
● 1 tsp grated ginger
● 1 tsp turmeric powder
● ½ tsp black salt
● ¼ tsp pav bhaji masala
● 1 tsp lemon juice
● 4 leftover idlis cut into cubes.
1. Heat oil in a non stick pan. Add onions and saute on medium heat until they turn translucent. Sprinkle little water to avoid onions from burning.
2. Add tomatoes, ginger, turmeric powder and saute on medium flame till oil separates.
3. Add black salt, pav bhaji masala and mix well.
4. Toss in the idlis. Add lemon juice and toss again.
5. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve.
3. Dahi Idli
A perfect evening snack made from the leftover idlis of morning breakfast. Just dunk into this lip smacking and nutritious recipe. Your kids are gonna love this healthy option of idlis.
● 1 cup whisked curd
● 2 ½ cup cubed idlis
● ½ tsp powdered sugar
● Salt to taste
● 2 tsp oil
● 1 tsp mustard seeds
● 1 tsp cumin seeds
● 2-3 red chillies
● 5-6 curry leaves
● ¼ tsp asafoetida
● 1 tbsp chopped coriander
1. Combine curd, sugar, salt and ¼ cup of water in a deep bowl. Mix well and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a non stick pan add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
3. When the seeds crackle add chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida and saute on medium flame.
4. Pour this tempering into curd mixture. Mix well.
5. Put the idlis on a plate. Pour the curd mixture evenly on it.
6. Garnish with coriander and serve.