Cooking with Leftovers
I love managing resources well. I firmly believe that everything that is bought should be consumed in a manner so as to avoid wastage. When it comes to food, I get over possessive and make a point to consume each and everything that is kept on my plate. I hate dumping any eatables into the dustbin. I am very much fond of recycling the leftover food and trying new dishes from everything that has kept in my fridge. Adding a lot of exciting flavors and ingredients to leftovers turn them into something scrumptious.
I hail from a sindhi family and sindhis are very much fond of rotis and paranthas. Every other day we have a bunch of leftover rotis in our hot-case and my mom hated throwing them out. She used to cook many dishes using different ingredients and spices with them. It is so much excitement and fun. It not only use the leftover food but also give a makeover to the boring chapatis. The last day I had a bunch of rotis left so I planned to use them for the day ahead. Let’s learn some quick and simple ways to use leftover chapatis.
1. Chapati Chips: A real quick recipe for using the leftover rotis. These crispy and crunchy roti chips are a perfect companion of tea. Sprinkle some chaat masala on the top to get a tangy twist.
• Leftover rotis cut into triangles
• Oil for deep frying
• Chaat masala
a. Cut the leftover rotis into triangles or small pieces.
b. Heat oil in a deep pan. Now fry the roti pieces till crisp.
c. Sprinkle some chaat masala on the top and serve it with tea or chutney of your choice.
2. Chapati pizza: Craving a pizza? Try this healthy version of pizza with made with whole wheat chapatti base and loaded with lots of veggies.
• Leftover chapatis
• 1 small tomato chopped
• 1 small onion diced
• 1 small capsicum diced
• ¼ cup boiled corn kernels
• 2 tablespoon pizza sauce
• ½ cup pizza cheese
• 1 teaspoon pizza seasoning
• Salt to taste
• Extra virgin olive oil
a. Preheat the microwave at 180 degree Celsius.
b. Apply the pizza sauce on the chapatti.
c. Top it with vegetables. Sprinkle some salt and pizza seasoning on the top.
d. Now add cheese and drizzle it with a dash of olive oil.
e. Bake the pizza in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
f. Serve hot.
3. Chapati Loddoo: Authentic rajasthani churma laddoos that are loved by everyone. The best dessert made by leftover chapatis. Try these at home and serve it with dal-baati as a Sunday lunch. I bet, your folks are gonna love it.
• 6 leftover chapatis
• 2 tablespoon jaggery
• 1 tablespoon ghee
• ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
• ¼ teaspoon nutmeg powder
a. Grind the leftover chapatis into a fine powder.
b. Now add jaggery, ghee, cardamom powder and nutmeg powder into the jar and grind it again so that everything get mixed well.
c. Transfer the mixture into a bowl.
d. Now make laddoos from the roti mixture and garnish them with chopped nuts of your choice.