From spicy biryanis to sweet puddings, from creamy risottos to crispy balls, rice forms a major diet part of many Indians. It’s one of the most versatile ingredients that can be served as a starter, a main course or as a dessert.
So give up the traditional way of serving plain rice and impress your guests by these unique rice recipes.
1. As a starter
Do you have a bowl of leftover rice in your fridge? Transform that boring rice bowl into something yummy and interesting.
Aranchini, an authentic Italian recipe is what you need during this monsoon.
● Boiled rice 1 cup
● Onions chopped ½ cup
● Cheese grated ½ cup
● Green chillies chopped 2
● Mint leaves chopped 2 tbsp
● Salt to taste
● Black pepper 1 tsp
● Mixer herbs 1 tbsp
● Maida 2 tbsp
● Bread crumbs ½ cup
● Water 1 tbsp
● Oil for frying
1. Take rice in a deep bowl.
2. Add chopped onions, green chillies, cheese, mint leaves, salt, pepper, mixed herbs. Mix well.
3. Make a paste of maida and water. Add salt. Paste should be runny.
4. Make balls of the rice mixture, dip it in maida paste and coat the ball in bread crumbs.
5. Now deep fry the balls and serve it with a dip of your choice.
2. As a main course dish
Every meal feels complete after having a plate full of rice. Biryanis, khichdi or even simple dal rice is enough to make you feel satisfied. Try this pav bhaji masala rice recipe for lunch to make your weekend delicious.
● Boiled rice 2 cups
● Sliced onions 2
● Sliced carrot 1
● Sliced capsicum 1
● Sliced potatoes 1
● Cumin seeds 1 tsp
● Slit green chillies 2
● Chopped coriander leaves 1 tbsp
● Chopped cashew 2 tbsp
● Salt to taste
● Pav Bhaji Masala 1 tbsp
● Oil 2 tbsp
1. Take a kadhai and add oil.
2. Add cumin seeds and let them flutter. Add sliced onions.
3. Cook onions till they turn translucent. Add carrots, capsicum and potatoes.
4. Cook it on medium flame till vegetables turn soft.
5. Add salt, cashew and green chillies.
6. Now add the boiled rice and mix well.
7. Add pav bhaji masala, cover the rice and cook it for 5 minutes on slow flame.
8. Garnish it with coriander leaves and serve hot.
3. As a dessert
The comforting rice pudding acts as a warm hug on a hectic day. The creamy texture lightens your mood up and makes you have it more and more. Here’s the easiest recipe that you are gonna use over and over again.
● ¼ cup uncooked short grain rice
● 3 cups milk
● ⅓ cup sugar
● Pinch salt
● A dash of vanilla
● Chopped nuts
1. Heat milk in a non stick pan.
2. Add rice. Let the mixture cook at simmer for 20 minutes or till the rice becomes soft. Remember to stir it occasionally.
3. Add sugar. Cook again for 5 minutes.
4. Add salt and vanilla.
5. Stir well and switch off the flame.
6. Top it with chopped nuts and serve.